Thursday, February 23, 2012

Alexi's Dad

We've started to pick up some followers to Designer Genes from Noahsdad.com. This is awesome! We are really excited to be connected to so many great people out there in our online community of Down Syndrome advocates. With the online friends on here, I'd like to shed a little light onto our situation, more-so who I am. This sort of stemmed from Noahsdad, Rick, sharing a sneak peak into his personal life and admitting a few things about himself. This took courage and I admire everything this awesome guy is doing for our DS community. Another contributing factor into this post was a conversation between Melanie and Kerith about bows and accessories for our little girls.





-First thing I'd like to share is, I like sports. I don't watch every game of every sport, but I sure love following "my" teams. Maybe if Rick was from Pittsburgh, he'd like sports better! Just Kidding! ..but seriously..







-Second thing I'd like to share, is that I do work on cars. I can even kinda say I like to, but generally it is out of necessity not pleasure. I've got many a bloody knuckle and twice that in grease stains mastering the craft of not knowing what the heck is wrong with this darn truck...and I'm proud of it!
(Sometimes I even need Kerith to help!)




-I prefer Home Depot to Best Buy, though I do still enjoy Best Buy. I love improvement projects and I do construction work. I build swimming pools in the Pittsburgh area for my family business, The Pool and Spa Place. Home Depot just has more of what I need! (Yeah that was a shameless plug, whattayagonndo!)

Photobucket

-I'm a shower guy, always have been for the sheer efficiency standpoint, but doing construction work, I can not imagine sitting in a pool of whatever dirt I get into during a days work! Although I have come to appreciate bath time with Alexi and feel Rick is spot on with that. Alexi has so much more fun taking a bath with daddy, compared to sitting in the plastic chair thing. Dad just has to take a pre-bath shower.


-I love to dress my daughter in pretty little dresses, with tights, and pretty headbands on top. As a "stay at home dad" in the winter, I rarely take Alexi out of the house without dressing her up. She gets pretty little socks that look like some kind of ballerina shoe thing, tights, dresses, headbands (she has 2 that I approve,) pretty much whatever I can find. I've even heard that it matches sometimes!

I guess I'm what Rick was referring to as a "manly-man" in his blog about the move, but I love my daughter and love showing her off in every way. There are definitely days that she is sporting some hand-me-down gear from her cousin, Eryk, that people don't even know if she's a boy or girl. This isn't because I secretly want a boy, simply because I'm too cheap not to use hand-me-downs! The real secret is that I prefer the days that I get to dress her up all pretty and show off all her girly beauty.

No matter what "type" of man or woman we are, our kids are always number one, and I love seeing all of the different "types" of people who are advocating for children with DS everywhere. Just one more thing that is making this journey so awesome. So from a gear shifting, wrench turning, dirt diggin, hardware store lovin, shower takin, sports fan; I've got somethin to say to Rick. Thanks! Thanks for bringing so many of us together on your site, and spreading the amazing message to the world that rockin' Designer Genes (Down Syndrome) is ok!








.

1 comment: